SailNet Community - View Single Post - Modern Hull forms and Motion Comfort
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Modern Hull forms and Motion Comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I've had the good fortune of sailing on one of those 'modern' hull forms - in blue water and configured for 'cruising'.
Namely Alex's Guilietta - a modified Del Conde 42 https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marin...00589133310358

She didn't do 20+ on the two days we sailed her down the coast of Portugal, but she did break 14 on a regular basis. IIRC she weighed in at 12000 pounds. Her assym was the now old big blue - 1500 sq ft. The afternoon of the first day saw winds in the 20-30kt range.
Her interior (at the time) was fully outfitted for short term cruising. She has since been stripped and is now dedicated to racing.

Day two was mostly light winds - sailing until the schedule got in the way then motoring.
I the time I likened her to a 42 foot cruising dinghy.
I still do.
Stepping off the pier onto her transom step my modest 180 pounds sank the stern a full inch.
Bottom line for me - boats like this are not suitable for long range cruising. I repeat, cruising. She bobbed, she bounced, she required constant and nitpicking attention at the helm to maintain performance - Something no cruiser is going to put up with.

Did I mention we rounded up 7 times (assym in the water) and broached once- boom in the water?
I've only been sailing 11 years but I only know of one 'cruiser' who has ever put a boom in the water.

I'll stick with my old fashioned almost full keel, moderate displacement (20k) Irwin 38 CC with a SA/D of 16.7, with a pounds per inch of immersion of 1390 lbs (per Irwin).
I might get to the anchor a little later than others, but I'll get there.
Sorry but we are not talking about the same type of boats or hulls. Giulietta is a cruiser racer able to get good results in regatta and the hull is on the line of those boats. It requires a crew to go very fast and as all regatta boats is a nervous boat.

The Pogo comes from a line of solo racing boats. that is quite the opposite in what regards behavior: while a regatta boat is a nervous boat solo racing boats are designed to be forgiven boats and boats to be steered on autopilot, while a regatta boat has always someone at the wheel.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook