SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wish I Had The Boat Builder/Dealer Do It!
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Wish I Had The Boat Builder/Dealer Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc11 View Post
bljones,

by all means that was a great post. thank you for the insight.

i heavily lean towards a new boat because...i want new systems, newer hull designs (aluminum w/ lifting keel is nearing the list's top...quickly) as well. i understand the downside is the lack of it being thoroughly tested but the counter weight is i can relatively expect lower maintenance costs (& time). i place a heavy weight on maintenance because i am wise enough to know boats are A LOT OF MAINTENANCE....and then there's the other side of the equation: ME! I don't know if I'll enjoy doing ALL the maintenance. Likely will but I know me....better than most. (I'm not afraid to take the front of an engine off and replace all belts, timing belt, etc....but it mayyyyy sit awhile before I do it...if you know what I mean.)

thanks for the input!
Just so ya know, a brand new boat is LOADED with problems. The difference is that someone else fixes it. But don't make the mistake of thinking because you buy new, it is like a car, and everything is good for 5-10 years. Instead, you will be facing many failures of equipment (unless you are very lucky) because everything that is going to break loves to break the first 30-60 days.

The positive is that when you buys new, you know how everything went in, what was used, and when you get the kinks worked out, you should be good to go for a while. No previous owner issues!!!

My experience, and the experience of most of the other new boat buyers I know.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook