SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making Distilled Water?
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Making Distilled Water?

We use flooded cell batteries aboard our boat and routinely need to add distilled water to the cells, although only a few ounces every two weeks or so. While preparing for our next major trip I was contemplating storing a supply of distilled water in smaller water bottles to be stored in convenient nooks and crannies about the boat but I don't relish the idea of one leaking and thereby causing a problem. As an alternative, it occurred to me that I might simply be able to make the distilled water we need with our pressure cooker, and a length of food grade high temperature silicone tubing.

I was thinking that one could make up a length of tubing, coiled up and set in the galley sink filled with cold water, and temporarily attach one end of the tubing to the steam spout on the pressure cooker and the other through the cap of a water bottle. Water in the steam from the pressure cooker would be condensed in the tubing coiled in the cold water filled sink and forced into the collection bottle. I suspect that our four quart pressure cooker would allow us to generate a quart or two of distilled water from our domestic supply in pretty short order.

Anyone have any observations?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook