SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making Distilled Water?
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road
Re: Making Distilled Water?

By steam spout I assume you mean the location for the safety vent. A couple of suggestions:

You would want to use a small coil of SS tubing. Silicone tubing probably wouldn't work very well and represents a serious safety concern. You want stainless because of its much higher heat conductivity. While silicone would hold up to the temperature (e.g. surgical silicone items are rated to be steam sterilized), it's more of an insulator than a conductor, so it wouldn't make an efficient condenser. More importantly, it folds and kinks too easily. If it gets folded while attached to the cooker, the pressure would rise rapidly, and the tubing would burst, spewing superheated steam and injuring anybody within several feet.

Other people have done this, for making distilled water and other distilled liquids. Others have used their household pressure cooker as a small steam generator for miniature steam engines, etc. I would suggest that you install a separate connection through the lid of the cooker, and leave the original steam vent to its very important job.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook