SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making Distilled Water?
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Making Distilled Water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
By steam spout I assume you mean the location for the safety vent. A couple of suggestions:

You would want to use a small coil of SS tubing. Silicone tubing probably wouldn't work very well and represents a serious safety concern. You want stainless because of its much higher heat conductivity. While silicone would hold up to the temperature (e.g. surgical silicone items are rated to be steam sterilized), it's more of an insulator than a conductor, so it wouldn't make an efficient condenser. More importantly, it folds and kinks too easily. If it gets folded while attached to the cooker, the pressure would rise rapidly, and the tubing would burst, spewing superheated steam and injuring anybody within several feet.

Other people have done this, for making distilled water and other distilled liquids. Others have used their household pressure cooker as a small steam generator for miniature steam engines, etc. I would suggest that you install a separate connection through the lid of the cooker, and leave the original steam vent to its very important job.
Humm--Good thoughts. The vent I was referring to is the spout in the center of the lid that the Jiggler normally sits on. One really doesn't need much of any pressure at all as one only needs to boil the water, not super heat it as in pressure cooking eh? N'any case, I shall look into obtaining a length of copper tubing and rather than fooling with the Pressure Cooker, shall modify the whistle spout on our tea kettle, which holds about 1-1/2 quarts of water. A replacement whistle spout is inexpensive and already has a hole (for the screw for little handle/knob) that one could braze one end of the tubing to pretty easily. Our stove is quite close to the sink so a few feet of coiled tubing immersed in one side filled with ice-water would likely do the condensation well enough with the out put into a bottle standing in the other basin. (Think of all the water that condenses on the inside lid of a pot filled with boiling water for pasta.) It's worth a try, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 04-15-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook