SailNet Community - View Single Post - Roller Furler for Alberg 35
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013

Lake Erie Monster is on a distinguished road
Roller Furler for Alberg 35

I'm looking at the Harken MKIV Unit 1 for a 1965 Alberg 35. I just bought the boat after losing mine in Sandy last fall, and it's in Wisconsin and I'll be picking it up and sailing it back to Cleveland in May, so it has been a bit difficult to get all the measurements from the marina, as the mast is way up on a rack and they don't seem particularly interested in climbing up and checking things out for me. So I think I'm down to three questions: If anyone is familiar with this boat, do you know whether the clevis pin measures 1/2" or 5/8"? Of the three toggle assembly options, do I need Eye/Jaw, Jaw/Jaw or Stud/Jaw? And for a more general question, the boat seems to have a jibstay set up a few inches behind the headstay. I don't think this is a standard setup for the Alberg, and I'm not very familiar with separate jibstays. What is the purpose of having a separate stay, and if I don't intend to use it for that purpose, can I simply remove the aft stay and install the furler on the headstay? That may well be a stupid question, but I have just moved up from a Catalina 27, so I'm scrambling to work my way up a pretty steep learning curve -thanks for your patience!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook