SailNet Community - View Single Post - Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things...
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Yes I agree,

Since the topic is for boat use I still suggest that the plastic ones re the ones most easily sanitized by boars and more likely to be replaced when necessary than the wooden ones.

I would be very few people with wooden ones bleach them after use or even wash, rinse and sanitize them properly

On Haleakula our decorative vanished and protected butcher-block cutting board sits on our stove top. We have a small thin light weight inexpensive ( Less than %10) plastic board to put on top when knife magic is required.
This is exactly the point I disagree with you about Dave. I agree that using wood in a commercial kitchen more often than not does not make sense, economically or safety...on a boat however where most do NOT have a high temp dishwasher, I don't like plastic. I would never bleach my wooden cutting boards anyway, only soapy water and rinse followed by a white vinegar rinse. Wood has absorbing qualities plastic does not, thats the most basic difference...if you remove or reduce the moisture from the boards a pathogen it will die just like a dried food, cured foods, etc.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook