SailNet Community - View Single Post - It can happen
Thread: It can happen
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneIsing
bubb2,

Glad you all survived more or less intact. Your point about cross-training with your sailing partner is a valuable one that I am trying to heed.

I hope you will post more about the aftermath of this tragedy. Like, what happened to the boat which ran you down?

Good luck,
Duane
There was no injuries on the other vessel and the damage to his boat was about $15,000.

At first the Sea Ray owner claimed the cause of the collision was my fault. Something about my transom got in the way of his bow. That's when the Lawyers got involved.

I had to prove in an court of law that i was operating my vessel safely, and correctly. Let me tell you that a Court goes by the rules of road. 22 1/2 degrees abate the beam means just that in an court of law.

The owner of the Sea ray was cited by the Coast Guard for "negligent Operation."

He was also found liable by an New York court for the damages and injuries which at this time exceed $500,000. His insurance co. has appealed the jury verdict and we are awaiting the case to be heard by the Appellate Court.

It has been 3 1/2 years with no end in site but, we (my Wife, son and myself) are still sailing.

Last edited by bubb2; 07-15-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook