SailNet Community - View Single Post - A few questions and intro
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013

Helms27NV is on a distinguished road
A few questions and intro

Hello from Nevada,

My husband and I have recently bought a 1984 Helms 27 from a family friend back east who had the boat built for them (original owner) and we brought it to Lake Mead, Nevada. It's been 15 years since I sailed much and my husband is new to the sport but we are full speed ahead updating where needed and getting to know our new boat.

As we have been going over things, one repair we have to do immediately is replace the tiller. I saw the one other thread on this topic for a 25. Has everyone had to go the custom route or is there a stock version that anyone has found?

I've also been looking for sail specs and a PHRF rating for our boat.

I found sail specs on Sail Rite Sails web site (I can't post links since I'm new to SailNet) Does anyone have any confirmation if that info is correct, or anything better?? I'll post the links as soon as I am able.

As far as a PHRF, I found a PHRF site for New England racers that included ratings for the Helms 24, 25 and 30 (again, SailNet won't let me include links yet) I've written the New England site to see how/where they came up with those and if they may be able to help us figure out the rating for our Helms 27 but I haven't heard back yet. Anyone have any ratings on your boat that could help decipher what ours might be?

Last for now, I have been searching for more info on Jack Helms in general - is he still alive? I'm amazed how hard it's been to find more than the general base bio you see listed with the boats out there for sale.

Just throwing all this out there. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!

Tiffany
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook