SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Interesting definition of a cruiser. Is a cruiser someone who stays in the Caribbean or one who cruises in many different varieties of conditions. Person who never goes more than 500 miles from their home base and just circles the Carribean to me is a live aboard who takes trips, not a cruiser. Gary was a cruiser IMHO. Wingnwing live aboard cruiser in my definition.

Someone like Killarney is really a cruiser to me. Many different wind conditions. Can't just run in for protection in 2 or 3 days. Endures light winds and the. Boat moves, and heavier winds and seas without trepidation. Most cruisers I know are couples. Not all require the creature comforts like air, etc.. Many prefer a simpler less expensive way of cruising you do. They are more of minimalist nature. Look at the anchorages of the real world traveling cruisers who travel in style .they have Amels, Moody's, Hans Christians, Taswells, Passports, Vagabonds, Outbounds, Oysters, Calibers, Hylas. These are not the charter boats of he Carribean.

A cruiser hits many brief wind conditions as they travel to many different areas. Not just 15-20 in the trades, but also lighter winds too. The cruiser definition you used will never apply to 98% of us. Most of us are hybrids. Very few of us are live aboards therefore we don't need to carry what we have around with us all the time. Even when we travel 6months a year to the Caribbean we will not be considered cruisers by your narrow definition. So I guess we will be taken a 6 month vacation on our boat by your definition. Not our definition by the way, I think we will consider ourself cruising because of the distances we will e traveling as well as the many destinations.

Racers. True racers I have see are like cruisers at he other end of the spectrum. They are a breed who goes fast...all the time, light and heavy wind. The have minimal accommodations major electronics , huge winches, open cockpits, many different sails. Most of us are not racers either. Look t he Vende boats, those are racers.

Sundeers are racers.

Racers and Cruisers make up 2% at each end of he sailing community. The rest of us in the middle with attributes of both ends of different degrees. As mentioned boat makers hybridize to catch our individual preferences, that's why so many variations from J and X yachts to Catalina's, Bennes, Hunters to Tartans, Sabres....to Hanse.. To Ip.

Paulo likes performance cruisers, I do also. Most of they rest of us on Sailnet are in the middle. Never to be racers or cruisers by your definition.

Boats have so many accessories you can add to turn any boat into a cruiser for living style. However you cannot turn some boats into performance boats. Many boats can hit hull speed, but can they blue after it for 30,000 miles without busting apart? Will they last 20 years sailing in blue water.

I am alo a member of SCCA. What type of boas do you see they have?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook