SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

The more I think of it, the less sense it makes to try to define terms like 'cruiser' and 'blue water boat', when we think of some of the people we have met while cruising. On one hand, a couple on an Oyster 56 bought from the factory exactly to spec with the owner in the factory most days to make sure it was done right. On the other hand, a singlehander on an engineless Bristol 27 that was older than the owner by quite a few years. Both boats though were on pretty much the same path at roughly similar speeds.

I think when we get down to it, we really define for ourselves what cruising is (or is not) and what boat makes sense for what we want to do. I would not want to do the singlehanded, Bristol way and I can't afford the new, big Oyster route so we made our own definitions and got on with it.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook