SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 04-15-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

The more I think of it, the less sense it makes to try to define terms like 'cruiser' and 'blue water boat', when we think of some of the people we have met while cruising. On one hand, a couple on an Oyster 56 bought from the factory exactly to spec with the owner in the factory most days to make sure it was done right. On the other hand, a singlehander on an engineless Bristol 27 that was older than the owner by quite a few years. Both boats though were on pretty much the same path at roughly similar speeds.

I think when we get down to it, we really define for ourselves what cruising is (or is not) and what boat makes sense for what we want to do. I would not want to do the singlehanded, Bristol way and I can't afford the new, big Oyster route so we made our own definitions and got on with it.

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome