SailNet Community - View Single Post - Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things...
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things...

Dave, I've got a couple of thick high density old fashioned cutting boards that refuse to come clean, even with bleach overnight. I figure, if bleach overnight won't make them cleaner...whatever the problem is, probably isn't something that can contaminate my food. I suppose that if I were ambitious I would try concentrated acid (muratic?) to clean them, but at that point a new cutting board probably would be cheaper and safer.

chef-
I've heard so many times that wood cutting boards are actually SAFER than plastic, because the wood absorbs moisture, which dries out bacteria and ruptures their cell walls, killing them more effectively than any cleaning of plastic boards would.
Has everyone been lying to me again? Or are things just different for you, with boards that are in use for many hours in a row with no opportunity to suck the moisture out?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook