SailNet Community - View Single Post - Intermediate sailing class or dinghy class?
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Re: Intermediate sailing class or dinghy class?

Dom,

The last thing you want to do now is turn the Mrs. off to sailing and a dinghy just might do that. We bought a large trailer sailer straight out and started sailing. The boat is a little stiff (I think) so with a little practice I can reduce the leanin' and eliminate the screamin'. If I may be so bold, pick up a copy of The Complete Trailer Sailor by Brian Gilbert. Lots of great info but especially a section in the back with specs, sketches, pros and cons of 50 or so small to large trailer sailers. It can help you pick out what you like. Two things I'd keep an eye on: head room and head room. One for standing, one for sitting. An enclosed head is always a hit for the ladies. As far as experience goes, you have MUCH more that I had when I motored past the jetty into the Atlantic and hoisted my jib. It was the very first time on a sailboat. I had lots of studying and a USCGA certificate; I wasn't perfect moron. That's takes practice so I had to work way up to it. Check my other posts for a complete listing of unrehearsed foibles. But, here we are, me and my lovely bride, 1200 nm later and still sailing strong. Keep at it. And remember: Reef early, preferably at the dock.

Don
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook