SailNet Community - View Single Post - Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things...
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things...

Dave, that's a great summary.

I didn't want to get too far into the woods (pun intended). You can add me to your list of SS instructor/proctors, We seem to have many of the same credentials. I also teach the Food Marketing Institute's course called SafeMark, which many supermarkets seem to prefer over ServSafe. Both are recognized by the conference for food protection. There's little difference in the two really. Both are based on the FDA Food Code. I wear a number of hats, the above I do as part of the " Extension" mission of the University I work for. Typical clients are Supermarkets like Shoprite, Quick Check, Hospitals etc. I also certify the students I teach in regular undergraduate courses during the school year as part of their coursework. Prior to that much of my career before I ( sort of ) retired was spent designing and building large commercial foodservice operations. Though, I've built a few smaller places like Dunkin Donuts, Pizzarias, delis etc.
Prior to switching gears, I used to wear one of those white hats..graduated from the CIA etc. in my yute..and put my time in kitchens. I just found that I loved the design and construction aspect; partly inspired by one of my CIA instructors. I still play in some test kitchens, and occasionally like this past January get to teach a class. But I mostly cook for my pleasure now and hopefully that of my guests. The nice thing about being semi-retired is that I get do a variety of things like teach safe-boating classes etc. And go sailing more often.

That said, I don't have the aversion to wood boards that you seem to have provided they are properly maintained. I use both on the boat and at home. Given the link I provided earlier to the UCDavis study, there might be some evidence to support wood over plastic on boats and in homes. Though, one study is not definitive. It may be interesting to see if one of the graduate or Phd students in our food micro-lab would be willing to take on a similar study. One is doing his Thesis on Handwashing, with some surprising findings.

Regards,

Last edited by Tempest; 04-16-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook