SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wish I Had The Boat Builder/Dealer Do It!
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Wish I Had The Boat Builder/Dealer Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc11 View Post
Yes, Brian. I agree. I'm not operating under those pretenses. I understand it's maintenance from Day 1. Likely less over the first x number of years .... is what I'm aiming for.
That is a realistic expectation.

One of the reasons I liked Valiant (no longer building boats), is that they built the hull and top, then started adding systems. It was built from the outside in, not the other way around. To the best of my knowledge, no production boat does this in any way. Too expensive. Now in all fairness to Catalina, they do a pretty good job of everything that goes in can come back out after put together. That said, there are still difficulties I have encountered. However, these difficulties are not specific to Benehuntalinas. One of my favorite stories was actually a Taswell and another a Panda! I was having dinner two nights ago with another couple on a Bene that tried to remove their water tank. It was leaking. Got it to the companionway, only to find out it was about an inch too wide to go out. Oops. I am not beating up Benes. I am merely using them as a recent example of serviceability and why it is important. I am sure Catalina and Hunter have had similar issues, as have other high-end builders. All the more important to take a thorough look at the boat you are purchasing with the floorboards up and a tape measure.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook