SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I would also take issue with such a narrow definition of a cruiser. As far as I am concerned, if you are going away on your boat for multiple days for the purpose of exploring, or just getting away, you are cruising. You can sneer at such people and say they are not "real" cruisers all you want but the fact is the vast majority of people who consider themselves to be cruisers do not fit your definition.

If I WERE going to leave my entire land based life behind and live on a boat, I certainly wouldn't do it on a pure race boat unless my intention was a high speed circumnavigation of some kind. I doubt many people would.

In the context of your very narrow definition of cruisers and racers your question is pointless, because few, if any, of YOUR kind of cruisers WOULD use a race boat.
Again, this thing has morphed into something I never said, not did I in any way imply it. If the word 'sneer' was directed at me, I take offense to that. Don't start putting words in my mouth if it was directed to me.

My definition of a cruiser is more to define the use of the boat versus who is a cruiser. Like I said, I don't care if you have a hobie cat in your drive on a trailer and call yourself a circumnavigator. Makes no difference to me and I couldn't care less. There is no better or worse way. My way is not right and yous is not wrong. My point was to point out that there is a HUGE difference between what you consider a cruiser "going away on your boat for multiple days for the purpose of exploring" versus someone who is living aboard, travelling to various places, for months at a time or years at a time. I have done it your way and my way and many ways between. Believe me, there is a difference!! The definition of a cruiser as how it defines the use of the boat is what I was laying out because that use defines boat selection in my opinion. As I stated above, this is about boat selection - specifically how it pertains to a racer-cruiser, not the definition of who is a 'real' cruiser.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook