SailNet Community - View Single Post - Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things...
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
in addition, your question whether or not boater actually wash and sanitize their cutting boards on a boat is EXACTLEY the reason I would advocate the use of wood due to it ability to absorb water and dry, therefore leaving a unsustianable area for bacteria growth.

To each their own, different perspectives and thoughts, up to the individual to make an educated decision. I will continue to use wood cutting boards at home and on the boat

You know we won't agree on this and will remain friends and dock mates.

I have read your reasoning and partially agree. I do understand you reasoning and have read your one study from Cal Davis numerous times. I do follow the USDA Food Code which does allow use of wood when PROPERLY sanitized.

I have to explain my thinking though
Quote:
addition, your question whether or not boater actually wash and sanitize their cutting boards on a e I would advocate the use of wood due to it ability to absorb water and dry- T37chef
We both agree the wood is porous and will absorb water. It will also absorb blood and protein liquid also. So lets look at a common scenario on a boat or home kitchen with one cutting board and multiple prep items with your AVERAGE boater who does not really follow good sanitization rules like a trained professional would.

We are making beef stew. So we take the wood cutting board and maybe start by spraying with vinegar to sanitize ( highly doubtful) and proceed to cut and cube the meat for browning. In the perfect world when done cutting meat we wash , rinse , spray with vinegar before we begin the next task. Now here's where it gets tricky as the reasoning he board dries better so there is no moisture or bacteria. We immediately proceed to use the board to cut vegetables. By admitting the board is more porous than plastic it has absorbed some of the blood through the small capillaries the wood has. Now you cut vegetables on it.....cross contamination....a plastic cutting board would not be porous and therefore would not keep the blood proteins. A person is more likely to change a cheap plastic cutting board when it is old and gouged than a custom one. If I could trust the average person to wash rinse and sanitize properly I might agree.

Lastly I want to make I understand wood advocates say that a porous wood board which absorbs moisture when left to air dry drys faster and more completely than a plastic non porous board. That's hard to beleive and makes no sense. Seeing as moisture is one of the required components for bacterial growth, how does this fit in.

I like consistency. If its good enough for most of the industry to use plastic, for whatever reason ( despite both can be used by FDA Code) why have two different sets of rules. If anyone should be using wood it is the industry professionals who have a better chance of using proper sanitation techniques than the average boater, house husband/wife, child etc.

Thanks all for the discussion of different views with respect. On this issue it appears some of us may just have to agree to disagree

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 04-16-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook