SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

It's really hard to make specific references like this is what cruiser is.....and a racer is a narrow beamed boat without " categorizing" a pigeon holing things. The reaction you received may not have been what you intended but obviously is what a few independent people interpretted what was said by you So maybe let's eliminate the word cruiser...as I don't fit your narrow definition.

People buy boats hopefully for their intended uses. It is individual owner specific. You have 2 kids on your boat all the time. Most don't. That means you want two heads, I don't. That means you want a large cockpit, I don't. It may mean you want an open transom , I don't. Beam is important to you or room, not for me if it slows me down. We both like our grills

Tankage is important in terms of fuel, but I can manage with 100 gallons of water and a water maker. I don't want a furled main, I want a performance main which is run on he KISS principal. One forestry is enough or you, I want a detachable inner stay or second furled headsail for long distance passage making. I need a 6gallon hot water tank you need at least 12. I want solar arrays , wind generation and a Honda 2000. You want a generator.

There is much more. But the drift is I want a performance cruiser which gets up and goes. In the 40 foot range a Hanse, a Saga, a Sabre. Something which is very safe and comfortable for two.

There are too many variations of sailboats just like sailors which tick off boxes for each of us to narrow it down. A live aboard will look or different qualities than a world cruiser. A live aboard may have a different view about boat speed and want the space of an IP or such, where a long instance cruiser sees the advantage the of a 5 day passage taking 4 with a performance cruiser.

I just read the blog of a purple on a large J ( a 42 I think) which crossed the Atlantic in 3 days less than most because of its performance in light winds. It had enough creature comforts for me.

This is a hard topic to generalize on as there are so many different qualities and combinations we all require for our boats. I say get what fits you and what fits your needs. I ll get what fits mine and well both be happy cruising on the water as we got what we wanted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook