SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Brian,
Your original question, I think, was "why a racer as a cruiser". I think that depends on what your goal is. Are you using the boat as a means to go from one port to another, or as a means of escaping land? If your goal is to go from port to port, a racer makes some sense to me, because it gets you from Point A to Point B faster than a cruiser, or another way to look at it is that it gets you from Point A to Point C, where a cruiser only gets you to Point B. The racer probably won't get you there as comfortably, nor will you probably be as comfortable aboard when you're finally at the dock, but that's the trade-off, isn't it?

Similarly, if your goal is to get away from land, then a racer probably isn't the best choice. Of course I'm overgeneralizing in my characterizations of both types of boats, but the narrower beam will mean less elbow room in the racer, and most people (there are exceptions, but a family of 4 probably isn't among them) need/want space. The cruiser will give you more room for creature comforts, and the ability to spread out (provided you don't add TOO many creature comforts) more than the racer. Plus, the (likely) shallower keel on the cruiser will mean you can do more exploring, and get into more ports. Even if you're port-hopping, you may not get to the next port as quickly as in the racer, but you'll probably be more comfortable when you get there, and while you're there.

So, what's your goal? To get from point to point quickly, or to slow down and enjoy the ride?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook