SailNet Community - View Single Post - I'm a tiller guy, not really a wheel guy...
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: I'm a tiller guy, not really a wheel guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
By making such a change, are you worried that you're going to sacrifice some of the sensitivity in the steering? I would think it's kind of like going from my 7,000 lb SUV to a Miata - the gas and brakes will be MUCH more responsive than what I'm used to. I would be concerned that the tighter steering would make it harder to make subtle corrections in your heading. But maybe it's just a function of getting used to the new set-up.
That is what I was thinking that it would make it too jittery. It does seem to be a bit much. I would be worried that it would make the effort too great when out at sea, especially when the wind pipes up. Of course on my Miata I removed the power steering pump to give me more road feel. But some think it is too much in a parking lot, but most of the time I am in parking lots I am going around cones! I would think reducing the ratio might make it too hard to steer.

Is there any linkage between the wheel and the pump that you might be able to change the gear ratio? that would be an easily reversible change.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook