SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013

Andrew Burton is on a distinguished road
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

I chose my my boat, a C&C 40, for cruising because I like to sail...really love to sail. I mean, I'm passionate about it; I can get off a two-week delivery and clean the boat up in a rush so I can get out on my little boat and go sailing.

I love the way the C&C handles under sail and I love the feedback from the rudder to my fingers as I lightly hold the wheel. She is very clearly a racer/cruiser with relatively light displacement and most sisterships are used mostly for racing.

While I probably won't move aboard and take off cruising, in the back of my mind is the knowledge that I could. I know of two sisterships whose crews are doing just that.

As I travel, I see very few cruising boats that are fun to drive; it's a major hardship for the self steering to fail on those boats. Not so on mine; she's the kind of boat where we'll turn Otto off and steer by hand just for the fun of it. And that's a benefit of cruising on a racing boat. For me, the sailing part of cruising is just as important as exploring new harbors, rather than an ordeal to be put up with between stops.