SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

What were we talking about again? Race boat suitability for cruising? Who qualifies as a cruiser? What is cruising? Let’s see if I can contribute without this thread totally falling off the rails.

Back in my younger days I raced on an Aerodyne 38. Loved it. Fastest I ever sailed was on that boat. Totally “grins and giggles” was that boat. Designed under the open class concept, she was the opposite of narrow. She was designed to surf under an A-kite. I lusted after her performance and at the time, I entertained the idea of “gentrifying” one and cruising it with MrsB. A dozen years later one that was gentrified did come up on the market. It had a furling boom and a bow extension for an anchor roller amongst other mods. Despite all the cruising mods, it looked like it was a beast to sail now that the Mrs and I are a bit older. They never completely solved the tankage issues which were now equal to my C34’s capacities. The interior was beautiful, but as Dad said, lacking a lot of storage space – too small for a year in Mexico IMHO. Needless to say we passed on that one. Lately, I been racing classic plastic, namely the venerable Cal 40. MrsB had seen a nice example of one tricked out for cruising (albeit in a narrower hull). The downside of classic plastic is the need to throw major coin at a “good value” boat to bring it up to what we expect out of our boats (we passed on this idea too.) There is a lot to be said about “dancing with the girl you bring to the party”. We are committed to our current boat for our cruise to Mexico in the coming years.

Now Cruising Dad, exactly how much cruising stuff are you carrying around? Back when we were campaigning our boat, we kept pretty close track of the poundage we carried on board and I worried that “cruising” is going to add a lot of weight and kill a lot of performance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook