SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Say it isn’t so, Cruising Dad! You mean I’m committed (condemned?) to all that stuff and more when we go cruising? I’m thinking of taking a grinder to my tools right now! Why have a generator and no water maker? We see the lack of water a bigger concern and power secondary (except for the amps needed to make water). I actually spent a week as a guest on a friend’s J122 down in Mexico not too long ago. Trust me, it’s a little like camping with the kids as all the stuff normally in the aft state room (aka the “garage”) has to go somewhere and that somewhere is the main saloon. The J is a pretty boat and fun to sail on San Francisco Bay but is a little like a gypsy encampment after nearly a year of cruising. If you really want storage, you need to go way beyond a Catalina and into something like a Taswell. I happened to talk to Jeff Johnstone last weekend and surprise! They are thinking about bringing out more cruising designs as they see their market moving away from the “cruiser-racer” concept. Paulo, what do you think of the Jeanneau 409? Saw one at the show that sort of spoke to us. Was not impressed with the Bavaria. Reminded me of a Catalina but with European pricing. Made me like my boat even more.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook