SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wish I Had The Boat Builder/Dealer Do It!
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Wish I Had The Boat Builder/Dealer Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
I decided I wanted to do the N.A and S.P. gyres ~10y ago. (Think doing the clock is more a theoretical goal then seeing the world. But started with that goal (around the world) before doing research and listening to folks. However, I love my wife and carry my reponsibilities to my kids and parents in my heart. I have had one boat or another over a 30+yr span and have learned to accept my limitations. Having my wife have
enough water for a shower
warmth and cooling as environment demands
space to get away from each other for quiet moments ( amazes me we have never a a fight yet but each of us sometimes need "space")
etc.
So the creature comforts mean she will view world cruising as a adventure not camping on the water. It also means no hardship to stay in a region for some months if it is interesting to us.
Yes carry at least two spares for everything and a virtual tool shop but talk to your S.O. see what she/he needs to live aboard and how they want to liveaboard. Then look at your finances. Then look at boats. I went with a semicustom boat. It was the first new boat I ever owned. Everything from the frig openning from above and well as in front or having manifolds to limit throu hulls or the placement of hand holds or a thousand little details that will make life aboard a delight for a six footer and a 4'10" soulmate was incorporated. I projected what our physical capabilities will be in 10-15yrs and designed accordingly. I thought and discussed with my wife where we would be likely to go. I plumbed for a spendide and a watermaker but will only put them in when need demands. have no deck canvas with a hard dodger and hard bimini. Each will make decisions reflecting their needs and past expriences.
Before building the boat I knew economically it was unwise. But this is my life's dream and now my wife's. Screw those who view life as an accounting or business school exercise. Still, be solicidous of your s.o. Don't put them in any discomfort or stress that would strain your relationship. Don't build or buy a boat you can't run
by yourself
when everthing breaks
that doesn't make your heart skip a beat as you row your dinghy away from her
Pretty much agree with everything you said. Our rule on the boat is, "When it doesn't work for one person, it doesn't work for anyone."

It is cruising for Gawd's sakes. Make it enjoyable!! Get the things you feel make you comfortable and safe. Even Slokum had a chronometer, for Pete's sakes!!

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook