SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013
Always tired

One is on a distinguished road
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I was going to write a point-by-point response to the long list you posted. But after having spend forty minutes responding point by point, I realised I was only about a third through your post.

Instead I'll do this short:

I'm a minimalist. Even at home I don't have many things. I have good things, but not many. Reading your list, it seems you're carrying everything that can possibly fit somewhere on the boat. Obviously, if you consider everything a necessity, you will have a hard time carrying less.

It seems, that not only are you carrying everything and then some, but that you're not considering lightweight options for each items. For instance tools - A lot of my tools are (reasonably lightweight) motorcycle tools.

I will never carry anything cast iron, nor will I want a micro wave. It's a sailboat, and besides the space and weight it takes up, the micro wave uses a lot of power.

As for the generator. If I was to carry a generator, it would be in lieu of the diesel engine. In other words, I would carry a generator only if I could get rid of the engine, and I mean that if at all possible, I'd get an electric engine.

Speaking of which: Batteries! I already have LiFePo4 batteries. I will never go back to lead-acid, agm or whatever. Not only are the LiFePo4 batteries lighter for a given Ah rating, but they have many more useable amps than similarly rated old-tech batteries. And, since things needs to be charged: They are charged much faster, not least because they have next-to-no loss.

I haven't gone through the entire post as you can see, but you can see that even those few "alterations" play together to make a much smaller and lighter system without any real sacrifices (unless you actually depend on a microwave).

Last edited by One; 04-17-2013 at 04:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook