SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Ahhh.... finally the discussion is getting fun.

Ok, let's talk about what I carry on my boat. I will try and get as many things as I can. I am sure to leave some stuff out.

[snip]

Ok, I am sure to have missed a few odds and ends here. It was not intentionally. But that is everything in my boat within reason. So lets now start talking about what YOU would cut.
Well, although I don't qualify as a real cruiser as per your definition, and I appreciate that any attempt like yours to itemize all the crap I've stuffed aboard my little tub would truly make my head hurt, two things I would rate as essential cruising gear - and that occupy a considerable amount of storage space on my boat - are notably absent from your list...

1) Ground tackle - any/all spares, including storm mooring gear, shore lines, sea anchor/drogue, etc...

2) Sails in addition to working sails - storm and additional light-air inventory, in particular...

I carry what most might consider a ridiculous amount of ground tackle aboard my boat... 2 on the bow, one at the stern, and a large Fortress and a dismantled aluminum Spade stowed below... And, if I'm heading for a place like Newfoundland, my Big Bertha Northill comes along for the ride, I'll swap it for the Spade... Not a cruiser, perhaps, just a graduate of the "What If?/You Never Know" School of Seamanship... (grin)

My boat, like yours, is extremely heavily-laden whenever I take off sailing. She's a heavy boat to begin with, and I've added tons of weight over the years. I've built in extra tankage - 100+ gallons of water, and 50 of fuel is a lot for a 30-footer... However, she was originally designed as a cruiser/racer by Brit Chance, and had an enviable race record after her launch in the early 70's... So, even with all the additional crap I've added, and raising the waterline more than once over the years, she still retains a fairly slippery hull form, and a very seakindly aspect, despite the fact that most of it is underwater... (grin)

As heavy as she is, she is still wonderfully responsive and a delight to sail, but all that mass and volume requires horsepower, especially in light to moderate conditions... And this is where I think most sailors today are really missing the boat, and the reason why so many cruisers I see up and down the East coast of the US are doing so much motoring, and so little sailing... I know I'm a broken record on this issue, but without a compliment of light air free-flying sails - gennakers, Code 0s, etc. - most cruisers and liveaboards as per your definition are gonna be covering a lot more miles under power, than under sail...

And that is where cruisers need to think more like racers, and carry the tools necessary to get the job done... Never ceases to amaze me, the low priority given to a sail inventory to get them through the lighter stuff, by folks sailing the sort of Conestoga Wagons you and I do...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 04-17-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook