SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

[quote=One;1017585]I do have a tv, I need to keep an eye on the news to make my living.

I am a minimalist in that I make it a point to come up with simple solutions throughout my life (professional and private). I also find things that are not decorated and whatnot, but I do like wood, if the purpose makes it a good choice.

I can carry everything I need in a backpack, and often do (although, more like a carry-on, that a backpack these days).

That is not minimalism to me. That is primitivism.

Same as above.

So, basically, the life of a beggar.

I often take on small camping trips in my open water rowing boat. But since I'm not a beggar, and I care about leaving nothing but footprints, I don't have campfires anywhere.

See the points about primitivism and the life of a beggar.

You have a very distorted picture of "minimalism". For something simple, go look up "minimalism" on wikipedia, do a google search for "minimalism", and while you're at it, do a google search for "scandinavian minimalism" and do a google image search for both.

See above. I don't bring "everything and the kitchen sink" as you seem to do, according to your list. I make it a point not to.

Ah, yeah, and we're back to you thinking it can't possibly be done any other way than the way you do things. You seem to have failed to notice where I said that by simplifying you will need less spares and tools, and that many tools can be found in compact and lightweight versions.

No, they're not. Any tool can be had in various versions. It pays to look around.

And there's the rub: I don't carry any and all tools I ever used on my boat. It's simply not necessary. I sail in a boat that sails well, and I have no intention of doing anything other than engine work of the very basic kind while underway.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know your engine was one big heap of rust where you had to bang on the spanners to make it work. The motorcycle spanners I have are plenty strong for my needs. I have never broken a single one.

It was an example of attitude. When you buy everything to "take a beating" and bring spares for that, you end up with a heap of weight and space taken.
If, on the other hand, you consider each detail, you will end up with far fewer things needed, and by extension, carried. And those that you do carry are well considered and chosen to save weight and space.

I'm sorry, but my wrenches has never broken.

See above.

See my above points of simplifying that you continue to ignore.

Apart from the mast, keel, rudder, and, yes, my fridge, there is nothing on board I consider "critical".

You seem to imply I'm arguing that no spares or tools should be carried. Nice strawman.

That is all fine and well. I'm saying: You're not preparing for the end of the world. Keep it simple.

You must be joking? Maybe in your world. But I don't see a need for one at home (the one I had at one time never got used), so why should I use it when I'm out there? You are reaching at straws when you make the claim that because I think a microwave is ridiculous, then therefore I must only be cruising from marina to marina. How ridiculous is that!?

Yes, I said, I don't eat microwave food, nor do I have any intention to do so.

I know they can be run from an inverter. See the point about simplifying.

[quote]They are quite light. Their size is small and they make a great place to put things in when at sea because the door can be easily closed and has a positive lock. And most of all, and maybe most importantly, they are readily available everywhere and are very cheap to obtain. Walmart sells them for $35.
Quote:

Seriously?

Reread my previous post about carrying everything, just because you can. It's all about attitude.

Actually it's a diesel - this: Wallas 85DP | veneliesi - Wallas

But, anyway, are you saying that you don't have a stove? Or that a microwave can replace a stove? If not, why are you comparing the purchase price of my stove to the price of your microwave?

Not that I use gas, but I'm pretty sure you can plan your way out of that particular problem.

I use a diesel cooker.

No, I knew you had a chip on your shoulder. It's evident from your ridiculous assumptions and insinuations. If you recall, that boat was to be my next boat. Apparently, reading continues to be difficult to some.

You really have a problem.

Wow, you didn't finish reading the very sentence you're responding to. I specifically mentions an electric engine, to be powered by batteries that are charged mostly by a generator. Hello? Could you please finish reading the sentence before flying off making assumptions?

Propulsion is important. I did not say I wanted to go without (mechanical) propulsion: I was saying if went the generator route, I would forego the diesel engine driving the propeller and opt for an electric engine at that end, so I only had a single diesel to carry spare parts for, and so that it could do it's work at an RPM that was the best for it. FFS.

Oh, so you DID notice I mentioned electric engines, but you chose to ignore it to make the strawman that I was somehow saying that I didn't want an engine. Way to go, CD

I'm talking about a single drive installation. One of the reasons lagoon dropped them was complexity, and with two drives it quickly becomes difficult. However, electric engines

LOL, sorry, LiFePO4 are dependable.

. Yes, LiFePo4 batteries are so new, it hasn't been tested on motorcycles, cars, and circumnavigating racers - you know, where there's a lot of money invested in the ability to drive the huge amount fo electronics constantly.

That's the mindset of some cruisers. Cruisers like you who wants to carry everything and anything, and who doesn't consider the options in detail. I have "tested" (i.e. used) LiFePo4 batteries in my boat for four years, and there are no problems, no downsides. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that lead acid is more dangerous, that if you use too much of the capacity of the lead acids (or agms) your entire battery bank is shot for good. You're acting as LiFePo4 batteries are some brand new tech, never before seen anywhere and it's a hit'n'miss affair to be using them. It's not.

I'm sorry, but unlike you, I have actual experience with LiFePo4 batteries, and I'm not afraid of new tech such as dyneema, or, gasp!, carbon fibre.

And heavy, and you can only use half of the capacity if you want them to last for a while, making them twice as heavy for any given useable Ah.

I don't cruise according to what I can get hold of in the most secluded bay in the most far flung third world country. I can't get a new engine there either. I have redundancy with my battery bank, and the charger can charge both agms and LiFePo4. You may plan to fail, I plain to make it even if something fails.
If I do go the electric route for a drive, then the drive is not something that is prone to failure, the battery bank would be the same setup as I have now, only bigger, and what is now a diesel engine would be a (smaller) diesel generator running at optimum RPMs, making it last longer than if it was used directly for propulsion.
Pretty much the response I expected from you. Pretty much the way you have responded to everyone else in this forum you don't agree with. No surprise.

Lets be clear: You ever call me a strawman again, any other member a strawman again, or anything I even remotely with my wildest imagination find condescending or aggressive (and as a writer, I have a HUGE imagination), you so much as cough the wrong way, and you are OUT of here. You have already been warned ONE time, there is no TWO. Your participation here hangs from a straw. I will not put up with ONE more reported post about you.

There is so much wrong with everything you just wrote from a technical point of view, I won't even bother to respond to it further. If you can make that work, go for it. Next...

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook