SailNet Community - View Single Post - Soliciting thoughts on a new outboard
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013
Custom Member

Stiche is on a distinguished road
Soliciting thoughts on a new outboard

After many wonderful years of service, I'm replacing my 1999 Johnson 9.9hp 2-stroke, in favor of a 2013 4-stroke, for my 1968 Cal 25.

I'm looking at a Yamaha T9.9, with a 25" shaft. Details: Yamaha T9.9 (High Thrust line), 25" shaft, electric start, electric tilt, 6A alternator... I know it's more than I need, but finding a new 8hp with electric start and a 25" shaft (or a 9.9 with a 25" shaft WITHOUT power tilt) has proved moderately difficult. Price is going to set me back $2800. More than I'd like to pay, but a very good price for what I'm getting.

I submit to the general assembly the following questions. If you have thoughts, please post or PM:

1- Your general thoughts on the engine. Reliability, fuel consumption, idleing...Again, I know it's more power than I need (especially the power tilt...). But I can't get the elec start and 25" shaft on an 8hp.

2- Thoughts on the 25" shaft? The Admiral made a good point a couple of days ago: that our 20" shaft does pop out of the water in 3'-4' wind waves in Puget Sound. She would personally feel more comfortable with the linger shaft...

3- Will it fit? I'm going to measure tonight, but I have a little concern given the placement of the tiller handle (which offset on the starboard side a little...

4- Noise? Or lack thereof? I pretty much have to yell for someone to hear me over my 9.9 2-stroke. I can only assume the Yamaha will be quieter, but I haven't found anyone posting db levels...

4- If you would recommend an alternative brand/model, which one would it be?

Coincidentally, I'll be selling my Johnson on Craigslist (Seattle-Tacoma), so if anyone in the Puget Sound area is interested, the ad will be going up tonight...

thx

**EDIT** To answer some questions...with a wife who likes sailing, but not "sailing sailing" and a 2-year old son, we find ourselves cruising on the outboard more than by sail. Why electric start? I'm scarred for life after breaking a pull rope on an old Merc 3.9 when I was a kid, and had to row back to shore As far as starting juice goes, I've gone with an Optima Type 27 AGM (start/house)

In reality, with the wife phobic of getting 'stuck' on the water, and the kiddo running around, I'm turning into a lazy cruiser for the next few years...so no more racing ('cept for Duck Dodge and Snooze 'n Cruise!). Most of what I'm doing on the boat is for comfort and safety, instead of speed.
"Sattar" Cal 25, #256

Last edited by Stiche; 04-17-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Responding to replies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook