SailNet Community - View Single Post - Main traveler moved to cabin top
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007

GaryT is on a distinguished road
Main traveler moved to cabin top

I have been looking for a Mistral 33 to purchase, and have found a possibility. However, the main traveler was moved (by a prior owner) from the cockpit (where it was designed to be) to the cabin roof. (The original cross support for the traveler is still in the cockpit, just forward of the helm.) I think this is fairly common with Mistral owners, and the new location certainly has advantages, including allowing a bimini over the cockpit. However, the cabin top is separating from the bulk heads, and I believe that is probably the result of lateral strain from the main pulling on the traveler. (Moving the traveler forward, would obviously increase the leverage that the main boom exert -- increasing the pull on the traveler -- and the cabin top was probably not designed to withstand that kind of sideways pull.)

Q: Has anyone else experienced this problem, and what structural solutions have been found?
I love the boat, but want to assess the cost and effectiveness of a solution before deciding whether to buy.

Thanks,
Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook