SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Sails:
An interesting point and I would suggest a big racer/cruiser divide. The low end of either might be one main and one headsail, a 130-150. But while the serious racer may sort through 14 sails to load the day's inventory...a cruiser has to carry all the sails they own, and build inventory a bit more parsimoniously.

One main, storm sail, maybe 3-4 headsails if they're seriously considering light air and storms? What does who consider "proper" for the cruising sail inventory, as opposed to racing?
I think many of the cruisers, with their roller furlers and inmasts, have gotten away from carrying any extra sails. I am one of them. Does not mean I think I should.

I have often considered investing in a trysail. I already have the track for it. I actually have a heavy made sail for a much smaller boat in storage in Washington. I wonder how that would work on my boat??? Anyways, I am as guilty as the crowd and admit it. Does not mean I don't agree with Jon, which I do.

Another sail I would like is a cruising chute. I had one on my last boat and loved it. I loved just flying it. Unfortunately, I have had my boat dollars going elsewhere. And in all honesty, and I will ask Jon what he thinks too, I just don't see many cruisers using spis. He is right about motoring a lot too. It shocked me how much we end up motoring.

I will say one thing though (about motoring): We try to avoid sailing when we will get bounced around too much. Sometimes you can avoid that and have a better voyage (not a better sail) by motoring. Also, where before we might just sail, it is not unusual for us to motorsail to make better time. I think that argument for a "Racer" could be that they do not have to do that as much and their boats will point better, making for a better VMG. I also think, in theory, they will be able to sail and make better speed in winds where many cruisers will have to sail.

One of my consistent arguments though, and it may be a Bob Perry question, is when you load up a racer-cruiser with cruising stuff, how have you affected the stability of that boat? THe performance? The RM? Wouldn't a race boat, given its nature of design and the lack of storage, be forced to put things higher thus decreasing its RM for instance, versus a HD cruiser might keep it low and secured? Because the percentage increase of displacment would be much higher on a racer-cruiser versus a HD cruiser, wouldnt the effects of loading it down really alter it more than a HD Cruiser?

I really don't know. It is a question. But it seems logical to me that it would.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook