SailNet Community - View Single Post - Questions Regarding First Solo Cruise
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road
Re: Questions Regarding First Solo Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
---
When you are single handing and have a dinghy, how do you prevent it from being stolen when you go ashore? I have a RL 260 I think that inflates in 5 minutes and weights 40 pounds. I am not sure how to secure the dinghy for a trip or day ashore. I really do not want to lug it around..
Is 20$ a realistic budget for food/drink per day, figuring in I will be bringing lots of provisions and fishing daily for fish and lobster. I figure mostly to only need fruits and veggies plus water as I dont drink much.
Can I barter what I catch on the docks at night or evening? Where would one sell his days catch?
If you're in an area where dinghy theft is a problem, use a long cable locked at one end to the dinghy (and the motor) and locked at the other end to something immovable. In the Bahamas most areas are pretty safe outside of Nassau. Having spent 15 years going to the Exumas I'm aware of only two dinghies gone missing, and one of those was "borrowed" by a drunk yachtie trying to get home.
If you don't drink, then $20 per day to supplement your stores should work if you frequent your own galley rather than restaurants. If you drink you can have three beers plus tip at a bar.
As for fishing, one would not sell/barter/trade his catch unless one was a Bahamian citizen, or willing to take the chance of being jailed or evicted from the Bahamas.
Enjoy - the Bahamas are wonderful.