Senior Smart Aleck
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Thanked 70 Times in 65 Posts
Rep Power: 8
Re: Annapolis - Atlantic early June
Are you imposing the same requirements as you did in this previous thread:http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-w...-trip-may.html
...because I do not know how to repair complicated electronics...or speak any Native American dialects...plus I like to hang laundry on the lifelines...
I’m thinking of making a 2-3 week cruise down the Chesapeake and up the James river this May in my Pacific Seacraft 25. She’s minimally equipped: tiller steering, porta potty, compass & charts, hank-on foresails. Interested persons should bring their own gear and are responsible for their transportation to and from the boat.
Interested crew should:
- know how to read a nautical chart and
- steer in a straight line (toward the desired point)
- be able to stand night watches
- know how to use the two-way radio
- be willing to do sail changes in all conditions
- cook well
- possess RSA certificate or equivalent
- be physically fit, mentally awake, morally straight, etc.
- be ready to jump overboard and push the boat off of sandbars should we run aground
- not pee on the anchor or rudder
- not throw up on either of the above or in the cabin
- not run with scissors
- or play with matches
- not get seasick
- not get sunburned
- like biting insects
- warn the captain if the boom is about to hit him in the head
- be ready to light the captain’s pipe when it goes out
- wake up the captain should he fall asleep during his watch
- not hang laundry from the lifelines
- be able to repair complicated electronics, including radar, even though there are none on board
- have a knowledge of local Indian languages (e.g., Powhatan)
- not have voted for anyone before Eisenhower
- play a musical instrument
- be mindful of proper idiom and register when speaking with the captain
- write good poetry and be ready to recite a daily poem about how enjoyably the trip is going
I will provide all the food (pop-tarts & non-alcoholic beer, or ramen & gatorade, alternately, with dollar store fig bars for dessert) unless you bring your own and it doesn’t require cooking or leave grease marks on the chart table.
Last edited by jameswilson29; 04-17-2013 at 03:22 PM.