SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for sailboat for bay that dries daily
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013

Bruce W is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for sailboat for bay that dries daily

Wow, looks like my first attempt at a reply didn't work. Let's try again.

Thanks again for all your great replies - I really appreciate it.
RE: the twin keelers, I agree - I've read that they are slower, and don't point as well. They're also tough to find, and resale might be tough too.

Re: a cat, I'd love to get a small cruising cat or tri, but they're tough to come by (most cruising cats are bigger and very expensive), and the tris are either screamer/racers (Corsair) or else pricey (Telestar).

Re: a catboat, I've never sailed one, and appreciate your thoughts as you have sailed one for some time. Checking out the PHRF (276) does make me feel like they're not that quick though.

I'm now thinking of foregoing the idea of having the boat right in front of the house, at or near the dock, and instead keeping it about 100 yards down the bay where there is always sufficient water. This would require getting a permit (I'm told it's easy) and setting up a mooring buoy, and probably needing to get it out of the water in the winter here (when the winds can really blow). I'd then paddle or row down to the boat, and bring it up to the dock when there's sufficient water. Not ideal, but by doing this I would open up a whole world of possibilities w/a fixed keel boat. If I go this route, I'll look for San Juan 7.7 and 28; C&C 27; Capri 25 (maybe the 22); Tartan 28-2; Pearson 28-2; etc.

This would keep the sailboat off the mud, which, even in a protected bay still means the hulls on the mud and shells twice a day. And that's gotta be tough on a sailboat.

Cheers,
BW
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook