SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Dave,

Agree on both accounts, with a couple of stipulations.

I don;t think the generator is 5-600 lbs. I will have to look that up, but I think it is around 250. Remember, mine is only a MV 3.5 . I just measured the dimensions at: 18x14.5x18. That's basically the size of a carry-on suitcase! However, they are rediculously expensive. I think this one, installed in 2006, was $15,000. I understand they are more than that now.

Of the things I have and listed, like you Dave, the Generator would have been one of the first to go if I had to choose. However, I suspect it would be a short divorce. Before long, I think I would end up seeing a Honda 2000 on my stern!

We make roughly 300ah/day. THat is well more than we use. But it only takes one day or two of clouds in the winter before we are hurting... and that is with 840ah batt banks! Without hot water, we end up running a pretty solid 180 ah/day. With all the kids on the computers and printer (my kids homeschool, but have to use computers), we can exceed that number.

I will be able to give a much more accurate pic of AH used in about 6 weeks. Kids will be out of school and hot water will be less of an issue. Of course, then the water usage goes up, but that is another discussion.

On the second head: Yes. We agree. Or, you could use it for straight storage as many people do (sail locker, wet locker, etc). I have no choice. THis was one of the stipulations my wife wanted for kids (she doesn't want them using her head). I got no problem with that, but I agree with you.

Brian
The average couple is a cruiser so having the solar and wind generator should be enough with the large battery bank. Less hot water needed also therefore less storage. Less water needed therefore less storage.

You have to also add weight in fuel, pumps, shield etc. for the generator weight not just the generator.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook