SailNet Community - View Single Post - Repair 4 hp two stroke ?
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
Re: Repair 4 hp two stroke ?

I did not remove the fly wheel as I felt like the spark from the under the fly wheel was good. I had unplugged some wires going to the coil packs that came from under the fly wheel. At that point I used a test light and it would flash bright and full with each pull. Even a slow gentle pull.
I think the removing the coils and putting them back on and cleaning the plugs that did not seem fouled made it better. The coils might not have been getting a good ground ? They are still over the Ohm range of 6-8 ohms that I found on the other boating forum. These coils both showed 12 ohms. A real electrician, not me checked 12 ohms. I can use an ohm meter like a novice. Understanding values not really.. 12 is half again 8 and 8 is 3/4 of 12 Seems like 12 ohms is way to high ? I put the coils back on and the spark was better.
Oil down the plug holes did nothing for the spark but it is a fine line that makes an engine go. Once she hit she got much better. She was a sleepy puppy. Now she is ready to play.
I have had some 2 stroke dirt bikes and 4 stroke I have no battle as to what is the best they both have a + and a -
Electronics are a mystery to me. I tip my hat to the ones that have skill. They get a good laugh at me but always help me to find the trouble. I try and I just stay at it long enough that I find the fault by will power.
It was my first outboard engine fix. I grew up on lake Erie and the inboard or inboard/ outboard is more my limited fixer upper
I wish I did not have to give it back but like I said learning about it was great reward.
Regards, Lou
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook