SailNet Community - View Single Post - Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things...
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"I am sure when most people posting on here eat in a restaurants you hope they"
Restaurants are theater and as they teach in Theater101, theater only works when the theatergoers have "willing suspension of disbelief". My grandfather was in the food business and he'd point out that every restaurant owner ate "across the street" because he knew what went on in his own kitchen.
Not too many people think of drinking Inuits as knowing much about restaurants.

Too bad you feel that way. That's quite an insult to those who make their profession in the restaurant industry as creative artists with food and the magic they can create using it.

Obviously your grandfather wasn't very proud of what he did for a living. Its a shame to have a profession you don't enjoy or don't feel proud of

Some people/ cultures have no appreciation for food, its qualities and its potential. Europeans in general I have found place more emphasis on food in their culture. They still have the patisserie, the charcuterie and many quality ingredients and appreciate dining whether its a simple meal or fine dining. Whether its beer production or wine production. Food maintains prominence in the family life there.

As a large generalization many Americans and Canadians just eat because they have to and have little appreciation for the food they eat. It really shows in the amount of processed food, fast food that they consume. This doesn't mean that all do this, but as a rule they care less about the food they eat and more about the quantity. That's why your comment doesn't surprise me.

You would be hard pressed to find as many world renown chefs from Canada or even the US although the US number has been growing in the last 25 years..

Here are home examples of the professional ice paddles restaurants use to drive down the temp of a 6 gallon pot of soup to cool it quickly through the temperature danger zone so they don't put boiling soup in a cooler at a temp which could breed bacteria.

Vollrath 7024 - Chiller Wand w/ Tethered Cap & Side Handle, Wide M

http://www.publichealthmdc.com/envir...afeCooling.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook