SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tartan 3500 Anchor Locker Leak
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013

Doug is on a distinguished road
Re: Tartan 3500 Anchor Locker Leak

My anchor locker has a hole right at the base. The hole goes thru hull to the exterior where the opening is covered by the chrome clamshell. I discovered a 1/2 inch tube that looks like it used to connect by a 90 degree elbow to the anchor locker side of the drain hole. I think I dislodged the 1/2 tube when I pulled out the anchor rode for my annual inspection. Next time we sailed, on starboard tack I had a nice stream of sea water entering thru the drain hole and running to the bilge. The 1/2 inch tube ascends up the side of anchor locker about 3 feet and then turns 180 degrees and descends down the inside of the locker and connects to a second nipple on the v berth water tank. I suspect the purpose of the tube is to relieve a vacuum I water tank that could occur wheeling water from the sealed tank.

I would appreciate any ideas on connecting the 1/2 tube to the locker drain. If I seal the elbow into the drainhole, then the locker will no longer have a drain. Is there a check valve device for 1/2 inch tube that would allow one way flow out of the locker?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook