SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sunken sailboat in Oakland Estuary. What Happened?
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Sunken sailboat in Oakland Estuary. What Happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
The yacht is the owner's responsibility while floating or otherwise. Hopefully he/she is insured, otherwise he/she's got a major problem.
Technically, yes. However, if the boat was insured for salvage, it wouldn't have been sitting there two years. If the owner doesn't have the money to float it or simply abandons it, it becomes our (the States) problem. People walk away from boats at my Marina all the time. If the boat doesn't sell at lien sale, the State pays to haul it away and crush it. The Harbor master is wiz at securing state funds. Grants, redevelopment and beautification funds. I think abandoned boats should be the cost of doing business for the marina. This would motivate the marina to be more selective about who they rent to, and go after the owner (if they have any assets). However, the State pays like a slot machine, so why bother!
I've found things in the nautical world to be much looser than I expected. For example, I assumed the Nav Aids at my marina had to be maintained by law. To my surprise, the Coast Guard informed me I was not correct. No regulations for marker lights?

Last edited by L124C; 04-18-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook