SailNet Community - View Single Post - Angry at my surveyor....
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013

sd1953 is on a distinguished road
Re: Angry at my surveyor....

I recently purchased a boat. I had the surveyor look at the forward bulkheads in the main salon because the chainplates (bolted to the bulkheads) had leaked and ruined the teak veneer. I was concerned that the underlying wood in the bulkheads was also damaged and would involve a large (and expensive) repair.
If the bulkheads in your boat were glasses in, are they glassed in to provide structural support to the hull? If so, soft wood in your bulkhead matters. If it is glassed in to anchor the interior components, not so much.
But I had to *ask* my surveyor to look at it for me. He said that surveyors didn't do that kind of testing and he didn't put the condition of the bulkheads into the report. So how did your surveyor even find *soft wood*? He had to be poking it with an awl or something. Did he poke all the wood on your boat? Is there evidence of prior leakage on the bulkhead?
By the way, on the port side only, I had to have a small area of wood cut out and new wood epoxied in, but it was NOT under the chainplate so there was no compromise in the structure. The new veneer looks good, the carpenter matched both sides of the salon with a new veneer panel and put a molding strip over the joint. Looks like original construction.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook