SailNet Community - View Single Post - Things that happen in cruising
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Things that happen in cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Anyway, a look at the reality of extended cruising.
I would modify that slightly, to being a look at the reality of cruising on a boat of such size, and complexity...

Since he makes mention of a "mandrel", I presume he's referring to perhaps a component of a massive Leisure-Furl type boom, or similar?

I shudder at the thought of an accidental gybe, and the forces involved, on a rig of such size... without a backstay, they're probably lucky the whole thing didn't come down...

Personally, I can't imagine cruising on a boat of such size... Hell, the power of half the boats I deliver these days scares the hell out of me... (grin) I keep getting older, and the boats I'm called upon to move keep getting bigger, not a good formula... Not a good feeling to begin a trip knowing that if such a failure occurs enroute, it may likely be completely beyond the physical ability of myself or my crew to effectively manage it... I never cease to be amazed, the number of cruisers and couples out there on boats of a size that so grossly exceeds their ability to manage the forces involved when things start to go wrong, or when the poop hits the fan...

If I were to suffer a gooseneck failure as they did on my own little boat, I certainly think I'd be able to configure a jury solution to get me to St. Helena... Or, if were forced to return to Luderitz, I could definitely manage a proper fix with the resources available there...

Size, and complexity, are two of the biggest enemies to stress-free cruising today, from what I can see... If you really want to go places, keep it to a manageable size, and keep it simple...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook