SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice on O'Day 22
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice on O'Day 22

Depends on your use of the boat. Quality-wise, I think they are similar. Value-designed and built, neither are high-end. Both are good boats. If this Oday is the stub keel model without the centerboard (I think Oday went to the keel/centerboard set up on the '76 model), then the Catalina will sail better. The ad says that all the plywood has been replaced. If that means the interior bulkheads, then watch out for two things: the quality of the interior joinery (not great from the factory) is now doubly suspect. I've seen some horror shows below when owners do their own work. Also, if the bulkheads below got so rotten they needed replacement, that also means there were leaks in the deak that let the water down there; this also means there was water intrusion into the deck. How was that remedied? Has the deck been recored (a very big job rarely undertaken on cheap, old boats). How were the deck leaks fixed? Removal and rebedding for the deck hardware, or some squirts of silicone around the fixtures? That is a really cheap price for a boat and trailer; to me it indicates aknowledgement of problems. Check for deck delamination, water stains on the bulkheads below, evidence of rebedded hardware, etc. Remember, no matter how much you pay, there's no such thing as a cheap boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook