SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dinghy Registration Dilemma - MD
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
re: Dinghy Registration Dilemma - MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Guess what - Maryland doesn't care how much you paid for the dink. They're going to charge you for the Book Value of it, and I think they made up the book prices. This is true even if you have a bill of sale...
I think you're being way too cynical. We'll see in a week or so.

I dare you to find a book value on an Intex Seahawk II inflatable raft. I paid $115 brand new from Amazon. If they want to come back to me claiming it's worth $200, they'll get an extra $4.25 out of me. I would hope that they've got bigger fish to fry.

I suspect that if you try to buy a $10,000 boat and have a bill of sale for $100, you're not gonna get away with it. But something that can be easily bought online for $115 is worth $115. There's no argument that its book value is more than that, and DNR would be stupid to make that claim. I know you're trying to make them look stupid, but this is a real stretch.

Why do you sound so bitter about this? Do you have an axe to grind? What actual experience do you have with DNR actually screwing you with excise taxes?

It's fine to be anti-tax. Make your voice heard at the ballot box. Give your representative hell. But don't go making stuff up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 04-18-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook