SailNet Community - View Single Post - Will USCG fly over Cuba airspace?
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Will USCG fly over Cuba airspace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
dawg, oddly enough the DOS OFAC guide says that you don't need specific permission to visit a close relative (3 generations) who is a Cuban national. Doesn't say a word about dead or alive so "I'm going to visit my grandfather, I've never met him" might actually be all you need to say.

Could be worth looking into, because visiting family gravesites isn't on the slim list of allowed reasons, but the rules don't say anything about the relatives having to be living.
It is a good idea, but I don't know if I have any proof of my claim. My Grandfather left for Cuba shortly after my father was born the 20'a. He went back home five years later and took my oldest uncle with him for Cuba again. He died in Havana when my father was 11 yo. My family lost contact with my uncle during the war. My father reestablished communication in the 70's. During the massive exodus of Cubans to America in the 70's, my uncle refused to move to America. I was told that he might have a "wife" in Havana. .

So I may be meeting with my cousins in Havana

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook