SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
More details please! How does one get from a relay, to an email being sent?

Being a recovering wooden boat owner, who is now not living aboard, I have an unhealthy obsession with bilge pumps and would love to have my OCD placated by knowing when they go off.

MedSailor
Medsailor,

I agree with your sentiments.

You need these to use my method:
1) WiFi access where your boat is.
2) Wifi (IP) webcam with external alarm input.
3) 12v to 5v converter (they are cheap) for webcam
4) 12v relay
5) wire going to bilge pump switch
6) wires and crimp connectors to connect everything
7) a circuit breaker switch that you leave on, or an in-line fuse
8) email address to receive alarms
9) electrical tape to eliminate webcam's pan and tilt
10) optional - long range wifi
and
11) you need to setup the webcam, including setting it up with your email address. This took me significant time to figure out. (It still takes me too long to re-do.) But there are resources to help. It needs to be done with a laptop.

Except the optional long range WiFi, all of the parts are under $100. I just saw some really cheap webcams on eBay that have the external alarm input. You get motion detection for free, by the way, with emails sent to you, showing the inside of your boat when something is detected.

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook