SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tartan 3500 Anchor Locker Leak
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013

Catcher is on a distinguished road
Re: Tartan 3500 Anchor Locker Leak

I will attach a sketch (in my next post) of what you have described - hopefully I have followed your careful description well enough. Shortly after your hull the fill and vent hoses did not penetrate the anchor locker bulkhead but went aft, port side, almost to amidships, so I donít have the same configuration on my hull #131.

You believe that the fresh water tank vent/overflow connected to the port drain, fair enough, but you would have to have an anchor locker drain too. My boat has two anchor locker drains, symmetrically placed port and starboard. If you connect your one to that hose, the anchor locker would fill with water.

Your penetration for the washdown hose is quite a ways above water level, but that certainly could be the water ingress point to the bilge if the anchor locker filled that high.

The easiest thing to fix though is the drain hole wall in the hull. Smear it thoroughly with epoxy, using a pencil, then you have eliminated the most well-documented of the leaks in this area. Second I would see if the water comes as high as the washdown hose bulkhead penetration by duct taping a small plastic cup to the bulkhead under it and check for water in the cup when you return from sailing.

Philip
T3500 #131 Catcher (Tartan3500dotcom)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook