SailNet Community - View Single Post - Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things...
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Restoring those plastic sink cover cutting board things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Of course, when I was a kid I could order a PINT of coleslaw and get it. Today? That's illegal in many states, and the coutner help doesn't know what a pint is. They're required to sell by the pound, even though they still use pint containers.

You may use an ice paddle (interesting that the vendor calls it a wand, not a paddle) to chill things, but I can assure you the local diner and restaurant don't. These places have cooks, not chefs, and if you are lucky the cook doesn't let the cat walk on the counter.

And please don't use that particular ice wand in my food, apparently it is polycarbonate, which means it will still be leaching BPAs into the food..
It shows ignorance is bliss. When people don't know any better they cant know when quality or changes occur when benefit them. Come on man...its the 21st century now...move forward with it or get left behind

Did it ever occur to you that the weight measurement in the coleslaw case actually benefitted you in that you paid for what you got. No unscrupulous vendor or un qualified deli counter person could fill the container a little short and still charge you the pint price. The way they are charging is consistent with the prepackaged Cole slaw I am sure. With the density of so many objects put into containers you need a price list a mile long. By weight simplifies it.

I wish they would do the same for ice cream. Selling by volume allows them to sell you air ( overrun).

Ice Wands/ Ice Paddles same thing. In commercial kitchens they have much larger than 128 oz containers and some are called paddles. Notice this one is called a paddle

That's pretty amusing you'd worry about BPAs leeching out into your food and the environment as you sail around encased in your epoxy, resin fiberglass plastic sailboat, made of the finest chemicals known to man and preserving a safe environment.

If we examined your home kitchen/ galley I am sure wed find more harmful metals and ingredients in your cookware than youd ever find in these wands/ paddles. Your diet probably contains more harmful ingredients than the containers it comes in.

What are the BPA myths? | Facts About BPA
Bisphenol A (BPA): Use in Food Contact Application

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook