SailNet Community - View Single Post - Angry at my surveyor....
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013

sailvayu is on a distinguished road
Re: Angry at my surveyor....

Yes there are good and bad surveyors just like any other business. Yes we do have standards to adhere to.
Surveyors have to be careful I when I do a per-purchase survey the buyer wants to know what is wrong and that is what he is paying for. If i miss something I will hear about it. Most of the time I save them more than my fee in reduced paying price due to the findings. Then when they buy the boat they call me and say "You wrote up so many things I cannot get insurance!" So what do we do?
For insurance surveys we have to place a value on the boat, If we miss something and the boat sinks guess who the insurance company is going to come after with a team of on staff lawyers looking to get their money back?
Most surveyors do not make enough in a year to pay all the costs we have to keep our professional credentials and pay the rent.
True professionals have to compete with the retired cop who likes boats and thinks it is fun to poke around in other peoples boats and charges half of what the pros charge.
I know we are not the most liked folks around the broker hate us because we find problems the buyer does not like us because we find problems on the boat of their dreams, the seller does not like us because we find flaws in their perfect boat and those getting insurance do not like us because we add extra expense and make them fix things.
But just last week a client paid me and extra 100 because I found a major flaw in the boat he was getting ready to buy, I saved him an easy 15k. And the guy who hired me for an insurance survey thanked me when I pointed out both the from motor mounts were broken and it was getting ready too cause him a very expensive repair. It can be a thankless job but for those of us that consider ourselves professionals we try to do the best we can while dodging law suites.
To the OP I would think a calm phone call to your surveyor would clear up the wording.
For those needing to hire a surveyor I would say when you call do not only ask how much they charge, remember you get what you pay for, ask questions ask about their background and get to know them a bit. A 5 min phone call will tell you a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook