SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bad yacht accident: two dead (one rescuer)
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Bad yacht accident: two dead (one rescuer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
But I am a bit surprised. After all, those life savers tried to rescue a sailboat in dicey circumstances (the first Marine rescue boat) instead of picking up the sailcoat's crew and getting the hell out of there, the safest option. And they have tried not once but two times two time without success ending up to capsize their boat and put all in deadly risk. I also supposed that proper marine rescue boats would not remain turtle. What was that, a 10m RIB

In the end they were not subject to an inquiry (as you sujest in the Portuguese case) to see why they have managed to endanger the lives of all in a crazy boat rescue attempt instead of saving the sailboat's crew lives as they supposed to do. More they were nominated for bravery.
Over here at least, public inquiries come when people die doing their job, but just because they've been nominated for bravery (ie. they got away with doing something crazy without killing themselves in the process) does not mean there won't be some kind of internal inquiry by AMSA and actions that come out of that for the next time this sort of thing happens.

You can be sure the decisions of the guy in charge will be questioned ("why the hell didn't you just pick up the sailboat's crew and get the hell out of there??") and maybe they'll get a more suitable rescue boat like you guys use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
It seems to me that the main difference between the two rescue operations was luck, or lack of it.
Perhaps.. or equipment? or training?? I would not know, just sitting back in my arm-chair like you are, Paulo.

...but of course you are right, these people were very lucky this time. The sea does not take prisoners.

Last edited by Classic30; 04-18-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook