SailNet Community - View Single Post - Basic marine deep cycle battery questions
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Basic marine deep cycle battery questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1948 View Post
Didn't as the question, but this is helpful as I would like to do a night sail across Michigan if it ever stops raining and warms up enought to work on the boat. I am thinking I should have a third deep cycly in "reserve" just for added security.
Should all be part of one large bank vs separate banks

Long detailed explaination. One part of it is battery life. Here as some numbers not exact but should be close enough to explain.

Suffice it to say this- 2 battery bank
1 Battery separate from 2nd battery each 105 ah .... or
2 batteries in one bank at 210 ah

Suppose you run 50 ah in one day. Its 50% of one of the one battery banks or 25% of a battery bank with two batteries in it.

Number of deep cycles a battery gets depends how deeply discharged. Lets say its rated at 250 deep cycles at 50% and 750 at 25%

Two one battery banks you get 500 cycles ( 250 cycles out of each battery)
One two battery bank you get 750 cycles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook