SailNet Community - View Single Post - Angry at my surveyor....
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013

sailvayu is on a distinguished road
Re: Angry at my surveyor....

It is rare but it does happen.
More often a suit is filed and the surveyor wins but the cost to defend is enormous.
Example: surveyor surveys a boat on the Chesapeake, buyer buys the boat takes it to a inland lake and gets fined for gray water discharge. Sues the surveyor for not telling him that gray water is not allowed on the lake he took it to. surveyor wins at a cost of 3k
The only time I had a issue the buyer came back to me 2 years after he bought the boat for a problem that came up long after the survey and after more than a 2000 mile trip without problems. Wanted me to pay as if the survey was a warranty that the boat would never break. Never went to court because no lawyer would take his case as they knew it would get thrown out.
I am sure there are cases where the surveyor was negligent as I have seen some really bad surveys myself. I have seen some surveys that were so inaccurate I wondered if the survey ever really saw the boat. I know one surveyor that will do a insurance survey just from the dock never sets foot on the boat.
I will be interested to hear some other stories.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook